Excerpt from Jon Taylor’s sermon, First Christian Church of Phoenix, Sunday, Dec. 4, 2011
We end up in places where we feel lost. We go down roads that take us away from who we really are.
What are these roads we go down that make us feel lost spiritually & emotionally; that make us feel like we are going towards an unintended destination?
- Fear: of loss, humiliation, risk, rejection; timidity, being hurt
- Self-doubt; guilt; unworthy
- Worry; anxiety
- Discouragement; loss of meaning, purpose
- Busyness; doing more and more
- Independence; self-reliance; pride
- Dissatisfaction; critical spirit
- Feeling condemned by God and others
- There are consequences to sin, but not condemnation
- Hurtful words from others
- Loss of identity
- Opinions of others
- Wearing masks to please others
These are all lies of Satan!
We build up walls and lose our way when we allow one or more of these to enter our lives and one day we wake up feeling like we’re in the largest parking garage in the world and we have no idea how to find our car, let alone how to get home.
What leads you away from who you really are?
These are lies and Satan wants to keep you there, but often we are accomplices. He tells the lies, but we are accomplices when we believe the lies. (Examples from list – “you’re right, I can’t do that.” “You’re right, it’s good to be so busy doing all these things.”
What I needed, what we all need, is to be reminded of who we really are. Look at this list:
A Reminder of Who You Are
- I am made in God’s image: Genesis 1:26-27
- I am God’s child: John 1:12
- I am a friend of Jesus: John 15:15
- I have been justified: Romans 5:1
- I’ve been united with the Lord and am one with Him in Spirit: 1 Corinthians 6:17
- I’ve been bought with a price…I belong to God: 1 Corinthians 6:19-20
- I am a member of Christ’s body: 1 Corinthians 12:27
- I’ve been chosen by God and adopted as His child: Ephesians 1:3-8
- I’ve been redeemed and forgiven of all my sins: Colossians 1:13-14
- I am complete in Christ Colossians: 2:9-10
- I have direct access to the throne of grace through Jesu: Hebrews 4:14-16
- I am free from condemnation: Romans 8:1-2
- I cannot be separated from the love of God: Romans 8:28
- I am free from any condemning charges against me: Romans 8:31-34
- I was washed…I was sanctified. I was justified in the name of my Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of my God: 1 Corinthians 6:11
- I am hidden with Christ in God: Colossians 3:1-4
- God started this work in me, and he will bring it to completion: Philippians 1:6
- I am a citizen of heaven: Philippians 3:20
- I haven’t been given a spirit of fear, but of power, love, and a sound mind: 2 Timothy 1:7
- I am born of God, and the evil one cannot touch me: 1 John 5:18
- I am a branch of Jesus Christ, the true vine, and a channel of His life: John 15:5
- I have been chosen and appointed to bear fruit: John 15:16
- I am God’s temple: 1 Corinthians 3:16
- I am a minister of reconciliation: 2 Corinthians 5:17-21
- I am seated with Jesus Christ in the heavenly realm: Ephesians 2:6
- I am God’s workmanship: Ephesians 2:10
- I can approach God with freedom and confidence – not because of my obedience, but because of Jesus’ obedience: Ephesians 3:12
- I am a new creation: 2 Corinthians 5:17
- I am dearly loved: 1 John 3:1; John 3:16
You can choose to trust God that this is who you really are!
God is far more interested in who you are becoming than what you are doing.
Here’s a sampling from Scripture as to who He wants you to become:
And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. ~Matthew 18:3
Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant. ~Matthew 20:26
You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness. ~Romans 6:18
And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate[a] the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit. ~ 2 Corinthians 3:18
[until] we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ. 15 Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will grow to become in every respect the mature body of him who is the head, that is, Christ. ~Ephesians 4:13,15
Decide: to stop listening to Satan’s lies, to put on the truth of Scripture, that you want to become who God created you to be!
Choose: courage, trust, humility, service, encouragement, contentment, dependence, power, love.
Be: transformed as you let God work in your life. Experience true life change!
Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. 2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.~ Romans 12:1-2
Become who God wants you to be. Don’t conform to this world. Be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Let God’s Word transform you into who He wants you to become.
Check out these other great blogs:
Enlightenment, Encouragement & Enrichment by Giselle Aguiar, Award-Winning Christian Author
Deo Volente (God Willing) – covering writing, Christian church history and Christianity
Check out Giselle’s award-winning Christian novel: Deo Volente! (God Willing): Love in the First Century a historical novel about the early church check it out! $1 from the sale of each book – no matter what format, benefits StreetLight Phoenix to help eradicate child sex slavery. www.giselleaguiar.com/novel1
Soli Deo Gloria!
Award-Winning Christian Author
Follow Giselle on Twitter