I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people-for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.~1 Timothy 2:1-2
No matter which political party you favor, if you voted for the current president, senators, congresspeople, representatives, federal, state or local, you can still pray for them. God calls us to.
- That they be God Fearing and recognize that they are accountable to Him for each decision and act. (Proverbs 9:10)
- That they be granted wisdom, knowledge and understanding. (James 1:5)
- That, if unsaved, they be drawn to a saving encounter with Christ; if born again, they be strengthened and encouraged in their faith. (1 Timothy 2:4, Ephesians 1: 17-23)
- That they recognize their own inadequacy and pray and seek the will of God. (Proverbs 3:5-8, Luke 11: 9-13)
- That they read the Bible and attend prayer meetings and Bible studies. (Psalm 11: 1-7, Colossians 3:2)
- That they be given godly counsel and God-fearing advisors. (Proverbs 24:6)
- That they be honest in financial, tax and ethical matters. (1 Corinthians 6:10, 1 Timothy 6:6-10)
- That they desire honesty, integrity and loyalty. (Psalm 26: 1-12, Proverbs 11:3)
- That they have courage to resist manipulation, pressure and the fear of man. (Proverbs 29:25, 2 Timothy 1:7)
- That they endeavor to restore the sanctity of life, families, divine order and morality in our nation. (Ephesians 5:22-6:4)
Note: I can’t take credit for writing this or the research putting scriptures for each number. This came from a handout with no copyright or author that I found in my church’s prayer room called “Prayers for Our Country and Our Leaders.”
Related reading: Wanting God’s Best for Our Land
Soli Deo Gloria!
Follow WWJD? The Revival: