The same earthquakes that hit Philadelphia in 17 and 23 AD also affected Laodicea. Laodicea was also a prosperous city. It was the banking center of the area. They even had a well-sought-after eye balm that cured many problems of the eyes. However, they had a water problem — or lack thereof. There was no water source nearby so water was piped in from a fairly distant source. By the time it reached the city, it was lukewarm. It also was heavy with minerals — kind of like the water in Phoenix. So, if it wasn’t filtered, it tasted terrible — hence, people spit it out.
Jesus says, Being Lukewarm Doesn’t Cut it Anymore!
“Write this letter to the angel of the church in Laodicea. This is the message from the one who is the Amen—the faithful and true witness, the beginning of God’s new creation:
“I know all the things you do, that you are neither hot nor cold. I wish that you were one or the other! But since you are like lukewarm water, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth! You say, ‘I am rich. I have everything I want. I don’t need a thing!’ And you don’t realize that you are wretched and miserable and poor and blind and naked. So I advise you to buy gold from me—gold that has been purified by fire. Then you will be rich. Also buy white garments from me so you will not be shamed by your nakedness, and ointment for your eyes so you will be able to see. I correct and discipline everyone I love. So be diligent and turn from your indifference.Revelation 3:14-19
Jesus told us in the past…
“Don’t store up treasures here on earth, where moths eat them and rust destroys them, and where thieves break in and steal. Store your treasures in heaven, where moths and rust cannot destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal.Matthew 6:19-20
Are you Lukewarm? Are you a Halfway Christian?
The church in Laodicea is known as the “apathetic church”. They had all they needed so they didn’t care. I was like that. In high school, going to Catholic church meant playing guitar and singing in the folk band — it was the early 70s. I didn’t care about religion, Jesus or salvation. I was cool because I played in the band.
Later, when I went away to college, I really didn’t care. All I wanted to do was party. I was a true prodigal….
A False Sense of Salvation
I was walking around for years with a false sense of salvation. I was brought up Catholic, I was baptized at 6 months old. I went through first communion and confirmation like a good, Catholic kid. I was set. Little did I know that I had it all wrong. I was never taught the truth.
Thank God, that He didn’t give up on me. Jesus kept knocking at the door and I finally let Him into my heart.
The Letter Concludes…
“Look! I stand at the door and knock. If you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in, and we will share a meal together as friends. Those who are victorious will sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat with my Father on his throne.
“Anyone with ears to hear must listen to the Spirit and understand what he is saying to the churches.”Revelation 3:20-22
If Jesus is All-Powerful, Why is He Knocking?
God is all-powerful and all-knowing. Then why doesn’t He just break the door down? Well, there’s a little thing that God gave us called FREE WILL. God gave us Jesus — the Word — to show us the way. It’s up to us to follow Him willingly. If we don’t, He knocks at the door of your heart and it’s up to you to let Him in. Notice in the picture above that there’s no doorknob outside. Jesus can’t let Himself in. You have to open the door to your heart and invite Him in.
Unfortunately, the Catholic Church doesn’t teach this at all!
They teach that you can buy your way out of Purgatory — which doesn’t exist — and into Heaven by earning grace points, praying or paying your way out. The truth is that you can’t. It was all an invention of the Catholic Church to help build their rich cathedrals and it just stuck. All the money in the world won’t get you into Heaven. Jesus taught that over and over again.
Hey, don’t take my word for it, read the New Testament Gospels and Letters (Epistles). Pray and ask the Holy Spirit to reveal the truth to you.
If Purgatory exists, then Jesus suffered and sacrificed His life and died for nothing!
If you want the assurance of salvation and a 1-way, non-stop ticket to paradise — to Heaven and that you won’t be left behind at the Rapture — which is coming soon, this is what you have to do…
Believe. Repent. Be Baptized. Receive the Holy Spirit.
- Believe — have Faith — that Jesus is the Christ and He died taking your sins away forever and that He rose from the dead 3 days later.
- Repent of your sins — stop sinning! Do a complete 180 in your life and surrender your life to Him.
- Be Baptized — show the world and yourself that you have died to your old life and are born again in Christ.
- Receive the Holy Spirit in your heart.
Next Steps in Your New Walk with Jesus…
- Start reading the Bible daily to get to know God. If you don’t have one, I recommend the YouVersion, Bible.app and Through the Word app — both are free and have a lot of great Bible studies.
- Pray every day. Talk to God. Ask the Holy Spirit to guide you daily.
- Find and join a Bible-believing church — preferably a non-denominational one and be baptized!
- From Catholic to Prodigal: Surviving College
- From Prodigal to Progressive: Surviving Hurricanes
- From Progressive to Born Again Christian: Surviving Unemployment
The 5 Solas
- Sola Scriptura (“Scripture alone”): The Bible alone is our highest authority.
- Sola Fide (“Faith alone”): We are saved through faith alone in Jesus Christ.
- Sola Gratia (“Grace alone”): We are saved by the grace of God alone.
- Solus Christus (“Christ alone”): Jesus Christ alone is our Savior, Redeemer, Lord and King
- Soli Deo Gloria (“to God alone be the Glory.”): It’s all about God not us.
Jesus is knocking. Won’t you let Him in?
Disclaimer: Neither I, Giselle Aguiar, nor Seek the Truth, have any control over any advertising that may appear and I do not receive any payment or consideration for it. Ads and “related” links come from WordPress, not from Seek the Truth.