Wouldn’t it be wonderful if Christians took over social media? Having worked in Internet marketing for over 25 years, and the last 10 years specializing in social media marketing, I know how easy — and quickly — something can go viral. I’ve seen it.
As a child of the 60s and 70s, I remember the sit-ins protesting against the Vietnam war. I was a little young to participate, but I remember that it started in the colleges and universities — a place where a lot of people congregate.
Today, that’s social media.
Where the People Are
How else can a small percentage of the population stir up thousands of people to go and protest? They use the free tool we call social media. We truly are living in unprecedented times.
The One with the Loudest Voice Wins
This is spiritual warfare. Satan and his demonic powers are taking advantage of the free tool of social media.
For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places.Galatians 6:12
We Christians can have a Loud Voice, too!
We need to be like John the Baptist…
“I am a voice shouting in the wilderness, ‘Clear the way for the Lord’s coming!’”John 1:23
Our “wilderness” is the social media world.
This doesn’t mean you need to start a YouTube channel to preach online. (Well, you can if you want to!) All you need to do is these simple things, every day when you’re online. Moreover, it doesn’t matter which network you use: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, Tumblr, Snapchat, TikTok – whichever — use it!
- Share — don’t just like a post — as soon as you share a post, the reach of that post increases by however many friends you have. Hopefully, one or more of your friends will share it with their friends, thereby increasing the reach even more. That’s how stuff goes viral.
- Start following — if you don’t already — your favorite online evangelists and share their website, posts, videos, pictures, podcasts — everything.
- Create your own Bible verse pictures on the YouVersion Bible app (like the one below)– Pick a scripture verse, tap on the text and it will be selected. The app will then give you choices of backgrounds for your image or you can select one from your own photos. Try to keep the text short and the font large to make it more legible. Watch the color of the text against the background to make sure you can read it. Once you’re happy with the picture, save it and share it easily to any of the networks. If you share to Instagram, you can auto-share to Facebook and Tumblr at the same time. Don’t share to Twitter from Instagram or Facebook, because on Twitter all you see is a link. Share pictures directly to Twitter.
- Share Christian music videos from Vimeo, IGTV, YouTube, etc. to Facebook and Twitter. Cross-sharing makes sure that more people see it. Don’t just post it on one network.
- Make sure when you share to Facebook, you share it Public. That way, your friends can then share it with their friends.
And the Good News about the Kingdom will be preached throughout the whole world, so that all nations will hear it; and then the end will come.Matthew 24:14
In no other time in history has it been so easy to accomplish what Jesus commands us to do in Matthew 24:14.
My daily podcast, that I started on January 1, 2020, has an audience in 17 countries besides the U.S.! Tonight will be my 155th episode. I found my passion, God gave me the gift of gab and I found a free and easy tool to use to create my podcast. I use this blog as my script and it takes me about an hour each night. I don’t do it for fame, but for the Glory of God. I’m the sower, spreading the seed and praying that it lands on fertile soil and somewhere, eventually, producing a harvest. That’s the power of God’s Word. (Mark 4)
Let’s pray this prayer from Colossians 3:12-17…
God, you chose us to be the holy people you love, clothe us with your tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. Help us to make allowance for each other’s faults, and forgive anyone who offends us. Thank you, Lord for forgiving us, so we must forgive others. Above all, help us to clothe ourselves with love, which binds us all together in perfect harmony. And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in our hearts. For as members of one body we are called to live in peace. And always be thankful.
Let the message about Christ, in all its richness, fill our lives. Help us to teach and counsel each other with all the wisdom the Holy Spirit gives. As we sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs to God with thankful hearts. Help us also, Lord to no matter what we do or say, to do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through him to God the Father. I pray this in Jesus’ mighty name, Amen!