Last we left our story, the Jewish leaders requested that Pilot seal the tomb where they laid Jesus’ body and post guards in front of it. They wanted to make sure that Jesus’ followers wouldn’t steal the body, then claim He rose from the dead 3 days later. However, that Sunday morning, there was a life-changing event. An event that can change YOUR life, too… Let’s dig in…
Early on Sunday morning, as the new day was dawning, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went out to visit the tomb.
2 Suddenly there was a great earthquake! For an angel of the Lord came down from heaven, rolled aside the stone, and sat on it. 3 His face shone like lightning, and his clothing was as white as snow. 4 The guards shook with fear when they saw him, and they fell into a dead faint.
5 Then the angel spoke to the women. “Don’t be afraid!” he said. “I know you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified. 6 He isn’t here! He is risen from the dead, just as he said would happen. Come, see where his body was lying. 7 And now, go quickly and tell his disciples that he has risen from the dead, and he is going ahead of you to Galilee. You will see him there. Remember what I have told you.”
8 The women ran quickly from the tomb. They were very frightened but also filled with great joy, and they rushed to give the disciples the angel’s message. 9 And as they went, Jesus met them and greeted them. And they ran to him, grasped his feet, and worshiped him. 10 Then Jesus said to them, “Don’t be afraid! Go tell my brothers to leave for Galilee, and they will see me there.”
The Report of the Guard
11 As the women were on their way, some of the guards went into the city and told the leading priests what had happened. 12 A meeting with the elders was called, and they decided to give the soldiers a large bribe. 13 They told the soldiers, “You must say, ‘Jesus’ disciples came during the night while we were sleeping, and they stole his body.’ 14 If the governor hears about it, we’ll stand up for you so you won’t get in trouble.” 15 So the guards accepted the bribe and said what they were told to say. Their story spread widely among the Jews, and they still tell it today.
16 Then the eleven disciples left for Galilee, going to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. 17 When they saw him, they worshiped him—but some of them doubted!
18 Jesus came and told his disciples, “I have been given all authority in heaven and on earth. 19 Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations (peoples, Greek “ethnos”), baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. 20 Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”Matthew 28 NLT
The Savior of the World
Points to Ponder
- Jesus, the Savior of the World didn’t come to conquer the Romans and free Israel from Roman domination. No, He had a greater purpose. Jesus came into the world by becoming human like us, to save us from sin. He took on our sins — past, present and future. Then He OVERCAME evil, sin and death. He defeated DEATH. Thus, I, because I am a born again believer, am NOT AFRAID OF DEATH! That’s the GOOD NEWS!
- It’s interesting how two different groups of people reacted to the news that Jesus was gone: the disciples went on to tell the world. The Roman soldiers, however, told the priests, but the priests wanted to hide the fact. The fact is, you can’t hide news like this, especially when it’s a promise from God.
- He calls us — commands us believers — to share this same Good News all over the world. Also, He tells Christian believers to not just share the Gospel, but make disciples. That means train new believers how to become followers who, in turn, share the Good News with others.
- Plus, Jesus promises to be with His believers till the end of the age! That’s an assurance. Jesus keeps His promises!
- We are all infected with a virus called DEATH — for which there is NO CURE! That is, no cure EXCEPT the Salvation of Jesus Christ!
- Because of the Fall of Man — when Adam and Eve disobeyed God’s specific rule — we were sentenced to death and eternal life in hell.
- Because of the Resurrection, when Jesus took on our sin and defeated death, we have eternal life with Him in Heaven.
The Assurance of Salvation
Two Major Points
- Jesus didn’t die such a painful, horrendous death on the cross so that we could have religion! He wants to have a relationship with you. He want’s to be your friend!
- If purgatory exists, then Jesus died for nothing!
Do YOU have the assurance of Salvation?
If you’re not sure if you’re saved or not, if you truly want to be born again and have the assurance of salvation, receive the Holy Spirit, and get a 1-way, non-stop ticket to Heaven and that you won’t be left behind at the Rapture, this is what you have to do…
Dig Deeper into the Resurrection:
- The Gospel of Luke: Death is Defeated! Jesus, the King, Our Hope is Alive!
- The Gospel of John: He Saw and Believed, #Blessed are Those Who #Believe in #Jesus without Seeing
- Easter Sunday: Jesus Is Alive! Jesus Conquered Death!
- After the Resurrection: The Birth of the Christian Church — The Acts of the Apostles