Life is messy. So is the Book of Judges. As we continue our journey through God’s Story, the History of Israel and Jesus’ ancestry, we find a phrase repeated over and over again… “The Israelites did evil in the Lord’s sight.” Over and over again. It became a vicious cycle. As the generation that knew Joshua dies off, the next generation starts doing what God told them NOT to do — mix with the pagans. So….
- They get in trouble by worshiping the gods and idols of the local pagans, resulting in oppression and suffering
- They call to God
- God sends a “judge” or leader
- He/She is victorious
- The judge dies
- They get in trouble, AGAIN, by worshiping the gods and idols of the local pagans resulting in oppression and suffering
And it starts all over again. A vicious cycle.
How bad does this Old Testament book get? Pretty bad. We meet a variety of different characters — including familiar names like Deborah, Gideon and Samson. Each with a story. Each with a lesson for us today. See if you can recognize Jesus in these stories. Let’s dig in….
Jesus in the Book of Judges
- Part 1: New Generations of Israelites Plunge into a Vicious Cycle
- Part 2: Want Victory Over Struggles? Here is the Plan You Need
- Part 3: How to do More with Less
- Part 4: What Happens When a Country Turns Away from God?
- Part 5: Be Careful What You Wish For and Vow to God!
- Part 6: An Adventure, Samson versus the Philistines, the Bible’s First Superhero
- Part 7: Depraved Indifference Makes for a Spiritual and Moral Collapse
- Finale: Three Wrongs Don’t Make a Right!
If you’re not sure if you’re saved or not, if you truly want to be born again and have the assurance of salvation, receive the Holy Spirit, and get a 1-way, non-stop ticket to Heaven and that you won’t be left behind at the Rapture, this is what you have to do…
Believe. Repent. Be Baptized. Receive the Holy Spirit.
- Believe — have Faith — that Jesus is the Christ and He died taking your sins away forever and that He rose from the dead 3 days later.
- Repent of your sins — stop sinning! Do a complete 180 in your life and surrender your life to Him.
- Be Baptized — show the world and yourself that you have died to your old life and are born again in Christ.
- Receive the Holy Spirit in your heart.